Monday, September 8, 2008

Fortunes for the Kooky

Fortune (noun) 
according to the Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, it is:

"1. The arrival of something in a sudden or unexpected manner; chance; accident; luck; hap; also, the personified or deified power regarded as determining human success, apportioning happiness and unhappiness, and distributing arbitrarily or fortuitously the lots of life."

The following fortune cookie "fortunes" have been gathered from my last two months of binge-eating on General Tso's Chicken in various Chinese restaurants:







I find it a bit odd that the "fortunes" aren't exactly fortunes, according to Mr. Webster's standards. 

But hmm.. Perhaps they're called fortune cookies because it does seem quite fortuitous how the little wisdom strips seem to relate exactly to the things that I am going through at certain points in my life. Bravo!

They're almost the same as the wise maxims written all over my Doodle Notebook (quotes from various individuals, blurted out during heady/reflective/avid conversations or in the midst of almost-stagnant cigarette smoke and AZ-ness at the back of BPI Main).

What a pleasant surprise it is, each time I get to crack a cookie open!

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me! Oh cookie, cookie, cookie starts with C." - Cookie Monster (please click the link, it's just the greatest thing ever)

3 comments:

Sheila said...

omygawd! How uncanny, I'm such a sucker for those!

Oh, it's you! said...

I must say, I love the third one. :P

Nicole said...

Thanks, Kia :)

Yeah aren't they the coolest? I could crack open fortune cookies all day..