Saturday, September 6, 2008

Shine, Google, shine!

click to view larger image

Presenting the Beta version of Google Chrome -- "a browser that combines a minimal design with sophisticated technology to make the web faster, safer, and easier."

My curiosity, along with a friend's comments on its sleekness, pushed me to download the application to see for myself.

Apparently, Google Chrome aims to address "the bottleneck that chokes the speed and abilities of today's Web-based applications. (click to read article)"

Quite true. This was a relief to me, since I'm quite heavy when it comes to web applications, streaming audio and video usage. I've always felt frustrated at how Firefox tends to send my CPU crawling once I load sites in five different tabs, not to mention the long wait that I have to put up with to access other applications running in the background. Looking at the memory usage of Chrome, however, I'm quite glad to see that its much lower than when I'm on Firefox, even when I'm streaming videos from Youtube.

Listed below are the perks that I discovered in using Chrome:
  • It is quite sleek. It's clean, it's intuitive, the better user experience is definitely a big plus.
  • Everytime you open a new tab, you get a thumbnail preview of your most visited sites.
  • Unlike Firefox or Internet Explorer, every tab in Google Chrome runs independently. This basically means that if an application in one tab crashes, the whole browser (or the rest of the tabs) will continue to run.
  • You can also choose to view sites incognito so that it does not show up in your history file (sneaky!)
  • Safety: Chrome will notify you if you are about to access an unsafe site.
  • Don't like tabs? Drag a tab out to create a new window. Also, you can drag tabs from one window to another to group them.

Sigh. I've always loved tabs.

In short, Google Chrome's great and I'm loving it so far!
Download it here.

4 comments:

Vicky Faye said...

i totaly agree! i love this too! in my Igoogle i have cherry blossoms for my design page :)

Nicole said...

Yeah! Download Chrome na, the load time is a lot faster :)

Hehe in iGoogle they have artist themes na, more choices. And yes, cherry blossoms are pretty! Wait til they come out in the spring :)

Nick said...

Wow, they have artist themes? I downloaded chrome already. Yeah, the load time's a bit faster than Firefox and even faster than IE.

I'm just trying to get used to Chrome now... parang nagpalit ka ng celphone na iba ang orientation :p

Nicole said...

Haha yeah I know what you mean. It takes some getting used to. I'm impressed by its minimalist look though!